Friday, April 1, 2011

Revolving Door of Interruptions


Life is full. As a mother of four, homeschooling, and trying to be the best mom I can be, there are few times and few places I claim for strictly myself. Even those quiet times you normally expect to be alone have become not so quiet or alone. Taking a shower is a contest of sorts to see who will dart into the room first; I dare not lock the door, for at that exact moment a certain someone may fall off the couch and break her elbow (and yes, I speak from experience on that one:-). And I think all of us moms know that the most crucial and needy time of day is when the phone just barely begins to graze our ear..suddenly, each and every one of them is in desperate need of our undivided attention. When I close a door between me and the rest of the house, I'm certain there is a silent alarm that only children's ears can hear regardless of where they are on the property. Thessaly put it plain and clear to me yesterday when she was refused entrance, "Mom, What's privacy???" How true, what is privacy when 8 little ears are always present.

Each morning and after each day's nap, I sit down for a cup of coffee. This is a time where I like to chill out with the kids, cuddle, chat, or what have you. It is not a time I like to jump up and down and run various errands for the kids. The other day after the fifth interruption, I explained to my precious needy ones, "There are two times of day that mommy likes to sit and not have to get up." Of course, Adela was quick to point out, "Oh, mom...you really sit down three times a day.....remember, after we go to bed." I had to laugh, for it is true, three times a day my feet go up; I stand corrected:-)

Although I sometimes feel like there's not enough of me to go around, I must admit....I LOVE THIS JOB! I love being needed. I love being the Go-To-Girl for my children. I love solving problems and being the hero over and over again throughout the day. How many other people have such an influential job that will shape the lives of those most important to them?

I do know it's important to get a little "me time" every now and then. But I also like the open door policy. I like being available when they need me. God has this awesome way of being there for me all of the time. He listens no matter when it is, and no matter what it is I'm coming to Him with. I can't even imagine Him saying "Now what?" or "Can't this wait!" Sure, there is a time and purpose for everything, but what a privilege to be able to approach our loving Father over every little thing; it makes me feel loved...it let's me know I'm important to Him.

So, I may not be able to post an "Out to Lunch" sign on my door or ask my secretary to deliver a "No Interruptions" message, but honestly who else would I rather eat lunch with? What a joy to show them I love them and they are special to me even if it's inconvenient or coffee time. Frankly, if that revolving door of interruptions wasn't moving I'd be worried......speaking of which, why is it suddenly so quiet?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment