Friday, September 29, 2017

20 Things I Learned From My Grandmas

 Oh, how I miss my grandmothers!  They left my life way too soon.  I feel like if they were here now, I would treasure them more than I ever did before in all my years put together.  Even though they are gone from this world, those beautiful women left their mark on me.  In the short years they were here being an active vital part of my life, they taught me things that will be with me forever.

I could probably write books on their fascinating honorable lives, but here is a sampling of their lessons I carry with me daily.


1. The journey of the treasure hunt is even more memorable than the found treasure.

2. Baking soda and hydrogen peroxide are great for your smile.

3. It's not about eating the taffy, it's about the fun in pulling the taffy together as a family.

4. Shoes can make you feel pretty and they help to dress up any outfit.

5.  Playing on the floor is how you build the foundation of communication for many years to come.

6.  Handwritten letters send a piece of yourself to your loved ones that they will read, stare at, smell, and hold close to their hearts.

7.  Teasing your hair actually has a purpose - finally volume!

8. Always find the humor, even if you've heard the story one zillion times.

9.  Pulling out the good china isn't just for holidays.

10.  Have essential ingredients always on hand for a quick and easy meal.  This way you will be able
to open your home to others whenever needed.

11.  Hugging makes everyone feel better.  Look for those who need one.

12.  Forgiveness and silence at the right moments bring survival and peace.

13. Have a nightly set apart time for your favorite show or delicious book so that all day you can look forward to it.

14.  Putting God first sets an example for generations, even if you think no one is noticing.

15.  Knowing someone's favorite food/drink and having it available when they come to visit shows them your love, forethought, and how special they are to your heart.

16.  Outward beauty takes work, upkeep, and practice.  Inward beauty takes even more work, upkeep, and practice.

17.  There's no such thing as a stranger; speak to everyone with love, knowing they are actual people with souls and lives of their own.  We are all children of God.

18. Demonstrate true love and concern for others by listening when spoken to.  Then remember it, and follow up; show them that what they confided in you matters.

19. Share your stories and history as much as you can, for it will be missed and longed for when you cannot.

20.  Never stop voicing your love.  Hearing you are loved never gets old.

ADDENDUM: In looking for these pictures of my grandmothers, I realized they were SO young! And my mother was even YOUNGER than I am now.  Wow!  It made me realize my legacy has already begun.  May the eyes who are watching my daily moves see even a fraction of the good that I saw in my godly mother and grandmothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment