Thursday, June 2, 2022

Such a copy cat!

 


I never understood why my kids got so frustrated when a younger sibling would copy them.  How many times did I hear their moanings of “She’s such a copy cat!!!!”  I mean, haven’t we all heard how imitation is the sincerest form of flattery?  I loved it when my kids were in the stages of imitating me, copying my mannerisms, using my expressions, pretending to be a mommy. Seeing them follow in my footsteps was such a compliment and a major responsibility.  Sure I fell short so much more often than I would have liked, but as a parent I embraced their imitation. I took advantage of it to set high expectations, teaching them manners, kindness, and love.  I wanted them to imitate me as I imitated Christ.  When they were little this was easy for me to understand what it should look like. It was seen simply by watching them share their toys, letting someone else go first, meeting the new kid, using please and thank you.  

But now my littles have turned into bigs and the clarity on that imitation of me is not so transparent.  In most cases, they’ve entirely taken out copying me, the middle man. Now they have their own beautiful personalities. Now they express their thoughts and ideas in unique ways…ways not necessarily like mine. At first, the momming side of me worried….they weren’t reflecting what I taught them the way I taught them.  But as they’ve grown and matured, I’ve been in awe. I’ve watched the transformation of them applying the imitation of Christ directly as they should. They have made their following and imitation uniquely their own. They have listened to instruction, learned from fellow Christians, and now are acting as they believe He would have them do.  I’ve witnessed exactly what is described in scripture as us the many being one body with many different parts; they definitely aren’t all going to be the same part as me. I’m admiring and learning as they develop their unique talents and methods, using the individual gifts God has given them to reflect and shine his light. 

I still take joy in the little ways I see myself in them, but I rejoice that as I watch them, I see more clearly the love of Christ and how He works in all of us uniquely.  Watching them walk in his footsteps is priceless! May God continue to use us parents, maybe not so much in the spotlight with our every move copy catted anymore, but in encouraging and imitating Him right along side our children, our brothers, and sisters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment