Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Learning to Be Content

"Summer is here and we are having fun!" or so I scold my children. We've done so many wonderful outtings, and we've been blessed in so many ways this summer. You would think we would be all smiles and hugs. Unfortunately, we are just the opposite. After a couple of weeks of having free time and fun trips, my kids are one grumble away from mom losing it. Today after a fun movie, and get together with friends, I didn't hear laughter or happiness...I heard complaints. What happened to my thankful children? Where did their appreciation go? I'm not saying I do these things in hopes of hearing an unsolicited, "Oh mommy, you are the best!" but I do want them to learn to be thankful. I want them to appreciate when they are given a privilege, and not come to expect luxuries being lavished on them at every turn.

I'm partly to blame, because I do want to pour out sweet things on them continually. I want them to have fun every day and make precious memories along the way. Yet, I don't want them to be spoiled either. I know there is a happy medium. I also know their attitude is often a reflection of mine.

Have I stopped and thanked my Father for His tremendous blessings lately or have I turned my eyes towards one or two negatives? When I pray, am I thanking Him for the gifts and opportunities He's given, or am I asking for more and more? Am I pleading for something different than what He's already chosen especially for me?

The good news is that after our Family Meeting, we started the day over with positive attitudes. The kids played happily together, enjoying each other's company, and mommy basked in the moment. I just pray we can help each other to keep up that focus.

2 comments:

  1. I think that one of the greatest blessings of being a parent is the insight it can give us into our relationship with our heavenly Father. This post is such a great reminder of that! Thanks, Vivi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. I was thinking my kids were the only ones who forgot to be happy and say thank you for the fun things this summer. They are ready to start school already. Silly goobers.

    ReplyDelete