Wednesday, February 24, 2010

What's a 4-letter word that Makes or Breaks a Day?!

The answer is N-A-P-S!!!!!!

I remember before I had kids how one of my dear friends scheduled everything for in the morning or in the late afternoon, all because of this new little guy who needed his naps.  I didn't understand why NAPS had to come at one particular time, each and every day.  Couldn't there be an exception?  Now, I GET IT!!!!

I like to go with the flow, and be flexible, and roll with the punches as much as anyone...but take away naps or push them ever so slightly later, and beware - the world might truly fall apart.

We now schedule everything for the morning, or afternoon, and try with all our might to have the little ones in the laying down flat pose no later than 2 (and trust me - that is pushing it).  Every now and then I feel adventurous and think, "Hey, I know...we'll do something exciting and interesting, and they'll be having so much fun they won't even realize they are missing NAPS."  And then, a day like today happens and reminds me....I am truly insane.  Little Thessy Angel literally turned into the Hulk, green with bulging veins and growls the size of a giant, and sweet Lil' Eben became a red screaming Banshee.  Jo sat plugging her ears with stress written all over her face, and Adela was actually quietly looking out of the window (which is nearly unheard of).   Finally after a 30 minute drive of this, precious Thessaly takes a breath and just sighs, "Mom, Me just too tired!"

This concept of rest, and naps seems so foreign to us grown ups.  We feel obligated to fill every waking moment with as much as we can cram in, because if it doesn't get done now, it will get pushed to overloaded later.  Yet, the Lord carved out this time for Himself and His people.  After creating the world, He rested.  His people were commanded to take not only a day of rest a week, but weeks were designated for this purpose and sometimes even longer.  When the Son was here, He went away to rest, and to meditate.  There is wisdom and calm when a part of the day is carved out and designated for rest!

So, that being said, the kids are all tucked in and quiet...I think I'll go grab a rest:-)

No comments:

Post a Comment