Monday, September 13, 2010

Falling Short

Going out the front door of my house is a process. It requires a checklist of events in my head to make sure we all get out with our heads still attached.
1. Did everyone go potty?
2. Do we all have shoes on?
3. Why are you bringing that toothbrush?
4. No, you can't take 5 dolls and 10 separate outfits!
5. Hold the door for your sister this time so her ankles don't get caught.
6. Where did Eben put my keys?
7. Who took my cell phone out of my purse?
8. Straight path to the van, we aren't going on a nature hike this time.
9. Lock the door with two hands, because of course it wouldn't cooperate and be easy.
10. Buckle the impossible carseats that require a jigsaw puzzle degree.
This is a regular routine as we exit the premises. In all of the busy-ness, the other day I drove all of the way to the library, unloaded the van (I'll spare you the checklist for this fete), only to discover I left the library bag full of books and our library cards sitting on the front porch. With great frustration, but trying to make light of the situation, I calmly explained to the kids how we had to go back because mommy had made a mistake. We piled back in the van, Eben singing background music of "We gotta get out of this place!", while I commended the girls for their patience in the situation. Adela tilted her head in an understanding and sympathetic manner and consoled me with, "It's okay, Mom! Remember, we all have come short of the glory of God."

Love it!!!

May the Lord have mercy on me, for I come short oh so often.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my! Out of the mouths of babes.... Isn't it nice when they are patient with us? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is TOO awesome. and what a beautiful picture! I love her! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been a recent memory verse. Good for you teaching them God's word and that they can remember and use it. Awesome, Adela! Grandma's so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete