Tuesday, December 14, 2021

Remembering


I’ve moved around a lot. Four times before college, then the moves during college, and THEN seven times since marriage (nine if you count moving during renovations, and believe you me, I most definitely count those:-). That’s a lot of places.  That’s a whole lot of people coming in and out of my life. Some have stuck around, kept in touch, still reach out. Some have slowly stepped into the background but still are very much present in my heart. All have affected me in some way.

Looking back, I see such value in those God chose to bring into my life, all for a certain time, a certain reason. I may not be the best at keeping in touch but that doesn’t mean I don’t absolutely treasure those friendships and memories. 

Today, I remember. I remember great joy and laughter. I remember heartache and tears.  I reminisce on conversations and outings.  I think of how we planned, carried out, reflected back, and prayed forward. 

 So many women gave me foundation, teaching me with their words, their parenting, their wrestlings and victories.  They all taught me, whether they knew it or not. I watched. I listened. I learned. And now, I remember them. Thank you!

So many children gave me inspiration, supposedly being taught by me, but doing a great deal of teaching themselves. They loved openly, fully, felt their feelings and let me feel right along with them. How I treasure all those littles and bigs that I’ve been graced to know. How I pray they know how important and loved they are even now. Thank you!

I don’t know what old acquaintances will come back into my life (in this fairytale land of Florida College, I’m sure its more than I ever expected) and what new ones are waiting in the balance about to enter the stage, but I’m so thankful for each one and the part they play in this life of mine.  I’m thankful for the way they helped me and my children grow. I’m thankful for the ways they’ll continue to bring me closer to my life goal of heaven.

Today I remember because my heart misses.  I miss those who live far away; how I wish I could pull them close. I miss those who I’ll not see again because of distance or circumstances.  And oh how I miss terribly the ones who have passed on before me.  Losing a loved one in death is so much more difficult than losing them in a move. We can say it’s similar for we’ll see them again someday on the other side. But we know it is different. They’re not waiting for a text or email.  We’re not getting that Christmas card or phone call. That part hurts like mad. Thankfully, God grants us an amazing gift if we let Him, a memory to feel the love…to remember that touch, that laugh, that meal we ate together, that field trip we took, that craft we decorated, that inside joke we cracked up about, that hug that held my heart and never let go.  Today I reflect on those good times and hold them close in my heart.  I miss. I love. I remember.



No comments:

Post a Comment