Saturday, December 11, 2021

Things I Learned From Being My Son’s Crash-Test Goalie

 


Sometimes my son likes to go to the field and practice soccer. I see him out there kicking the ball with all his might, then chasing it down, and starting all over. Today I offered to be his goalie. Here are a few things I learned from the experience:

1. Whether I blocked the ball or not, he was thrilled I was playing. Just like with my girls in math, I may not be an expert, but I’m going to make myself available and work hard beside them to give them the support they need. I’ll search for the answer. I’ll ask an expert. I’ll throw myself in front of a speeding ball. Whatever it takes, my kids will know I’m there next to them, trying.

2. He’s got a powerful kick. The strength I see in that boy, both physically and emotionally, always impresses me.  Both on the field and off, he puts himself out there. He doesn’t let magnitude or intimidation deter him. He runs towards what is important to him in all aspects of his life. I want to have his fervor!

3. Flailing your hand out there in front of that 5000 mph ball is just plain foolish. I may see it coming. I may think I can, but unless I’ve got the right equipment, support behind me, and wisdom in the how-to, it’s only going to hurt.  I need to apply this to the obstacles spiraling at me, get myself equipped and ready, then make sure I’ve got the support to make a successful effort. This isn’t to say, don’t try….it’s saying, get ready becasue we all know those “balls” are coming.

4. Time and presence go miles to let him know I care for him. And frankly, I feel love the same way.  He thanks me for coming to his games, for taking him to practice, and for talking with him forever before bed. I know it matters to him, so it’s something we prioritize together. I know he’s a teen boy and that might not last, but as long as I can, I’m going to make it top of my list of to do’s.

5. Man! I love that boy!  God is so good to let us see Him in all the different ways. When I look at my kids, I see God’s grace and love. I see his wisdom and power.  I see that He is merciful to even me, and somehow put faith in the fact that with His help I could.  May He see my efforts and grant me wisdom in all he entrusted me. Momming these precious souls is such a beautiful intimidating and exhilarating responsibility. 

No comments:

Post a Comment