Thursday, December 9, 2021

Unabashed Enthusiasm

 One of the things I absolutely treasure about my six year old  at this age is her unabashed enthusiasm for EVERYTHING!  We're going to Trader Joe's..."Yippee! That store is so fun! I can't wait to find the parrot!" or we play a game of Slap Jack..."Awesome! I rock this game!"  Even blowing bubbles is filled with hilarious contagious laughter as she and Obi jump and race to pop as many as they possibly can.  Often at the end of the day, she reports that this was the very best day, and wow! does that make every moment worth it to me.

My older ones and I still have joy and enthusiasm, but as folks grow older for some reason we tend to muffle it a bit more.  I've found that teens especially are guarded with showing this emotion  They may be cheering and doing cartwheels on the inside, but their outsides say "Cool!" and then go back to their screens.  They may be excited and counting down the days, but they'd never let on that they already have their outfit and hairstyle picked out and planned for the coming big event.  

Maybe this is why I still am so stinking excited about the Christmas holiday.  Even though my older ones are cool and collected about most things, each one still breaks out in a huge beautiful smile when they see their special ornament coming out of the box ready to go on the tree.  They still make certain that every Christmas painting from the past years is up on the wall.  They are already checking with me to make sure that I plan on buying Great Grandma's Bon Bon ingredients to make together like we do every year.  

I love their joy and enthusiasm!  I love their anticipation, their longing for special times together, and that glisten in their eyes.  It makes my heart smile to know that they feel the love that's been poured into all of those things across the years.  I truly treasure my time with them. They are so precious to me!


No comments:

Post a Comment