Sunday, March 28, 2010

Battle Scars for the "Mother" Land


Yesterday as I was showing off my latest scratches from Eben's sharp little claws... I mean, fingernails...John compared my marred self to that of our new favorite TV series' star, Jack Bauer.  We've recently been checking out the 24 series from the library and until now, I didn't realize just how much me and Jack have in common.;-)

Jack is a government agent who time and again puts himself in harms' way for the love of his country.  He is often turned upon, rejected, and doubted by the very ones he is trying to protect.  In every season thus far, he is in some way injured and makes countless sacrifices, but rarely is he acknowledged or thanked properly for his devotion.

The comparison?  You guessed it...I am a government agent....great, my secret is out....no, seriously...I am a mother who time and again goes thru torture for the love of her family.  I have the battle scars to prove it; there's scratches and bruises, stretch marks, wrinkles, and gray hairs.  Often my children turn on me, reject me, and doubt me, even though my warnings, scoldings, and strict directions are trying to protect them.  Just last week, Adela decided to fly out of the van instead of climb out as usual, and what were the words raging from her mouth as she splatted on the concrete?  "MOOOMMMM!!!!" like it was my fault.  Thessaly tripped on my foot as she ran past in the house where she knows she's not to run, and immediately, her stern look turned on me, "MOMMMM!  Why you do that?!"  Even as I type, Josephine sits pouting on the couch because she wants to play outside but I said not now since it is raining and cold.  How dare I?!
This message isn't written to toot my own horn, though...or call myself a hero (although my 24 hour days might give Jack a run for his money:-). 

Once again, I think of the One who did all the suffering for my sake.  He has the wounds to prove it.  Yes, His body was often broken for me, but how many rejections and accusations have I made that have caused Him pain?!  How many times has He put Himself in harm's way for me?  How many times has He made those tough warnings, scoldings, and strict directions only trying to protect me?  Rarely do I stop to give Him the thanks He deserves. 

As I go along this motherly walk, may I think of the wounds I have inflicted on Him, and grow to appreciate all He does for little old me.

No comments:

Post a Comment