Wednesday, March 3, 2010

All That's Left

We've all seen the articles that list the many roles of a mother. They give an estimate of what her income should be by counting all of her duties and jobs (a cook, a counselor, a pharmacist, a referee, a teacher, a chauffeur, etc.). Of all the many, many duties mothers have, I would say the role of Disciplinarian is one of the hardest. Contrary to what my children believe, I do not find joy in saying "No!" I do not think it's fun to correct their mistakes, or guide them to the right when they err from the way multiple times in a day. However, I do know that it is absolutely necessary to train them to be who God wants them to be, and to guide them to their true potential. I can witness the results of sweet, precious, and well behaved kids in the long run; and what a wonderful feeling that is!

Just when I feel we are at a calm and things are going well in that department, new trials arise. This past week, colds have entered the household. This of course makes emotions raw, and being cooped up in the house helps to contribute to everyone getting under each other's feet.

After losing several privileges and various items, Adela looked up at me with those big teary eyes and cried, "All that's left is my heart!"
Talk about guilt trip. On one hand, I know she needed the restrictions; on the other, it broke my heart to see that she felt stripped bare. It got me to thinking how the Lord disciplines us. He tells us what He expects, He guides us to do what's right, and yet we disappoint Him time and again. It's those times when we hit rock bottom and "all that's left" is our hearts that we truly turn to Him and strive to do better. He doesn't enjoy saying, "No!" and doesn't think it is fun to correct our mistakes, but in the long run He knows we can do better and become who He wants us to be.

My goal this week is to discipline with a loving hand, as He does...to be consistent, firm, and loving even when I feel I'm going to pull out my hair or blow my top. At least the heart is left, and isn't that the best part of us - we'll just take it from there!

2 comments:

  1. Vivi, I loved this post! Disciplining is so hard, and I am thankful for your words of encouragement and your amazing example.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures. She is such a character.
    Funny how little ones can make the most profound statements without even realizing it.
    Thanks for the thoughts.

    ReplyDelete