Monday, March 8, 2010

Conquering the Germ

Not long ago we took a homeschool trip to a Natural History Museum that had a special hands-on exhibit dealing with germs.  The kids learned all about germs -how to properly cover a cough with a sleeve, how long is long enough to truly wash your hands, not just get them wet with a dash of soap, how microscopic "bugs" can make you really, really sick.  It was a wonderful exhibit that made a lasting impression. 

Already, we are very Germ Conscious.  I'm that cooky mom that pulls out the hand sanitizer whenever we're at restaurants, in the van on the way home from events, and even on the bench directly after Bible Class.  It's not that we're paranoid about getting sick...well, ok, yes, we're paranoid about it...but it's just that with a family of so many little ones, once germs get in, it takes forever for them to get out; it starts with one little runny nose, and within a week we've used a mega-pack of Kleenex boxes and each one of us has a red nose to prove it.

This winter has been especially rough for us.  I guess moving to a colder climate has exposed us to different kinds of colds/flus than our immune systems were already used to down south.  It seems we've had more sick days than well during the last couple of months.  In fact, I almost seem giddy when people ask how we're doing and I can reply, "We are all healthy and happy!"

With all of the "germ" talk going on in our house, I became painfully aware that our Father warned us over and over about a different kind of "germ" - that of sin.  These "germs" come in all shapes and sizes.  The most contagious ones around here are anger, bad words (Thessaly insists that she heard Eben say "poopoo" just last night), and selfishness.  They can sneak in unnoticed.  They start off small, and fester into a full blown illness.  They are contagious and are easily spread to our companions. I started taking a look at our family, and wondered what other "germs" we've allowed to creep into our home.  

"If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" is SO true.  If I start the day off with a frown and complaint, my irritableness spreads to the kids and we are all exposed to that "germ." If I answer in wrath and say cruel things, it won't be long until I turn around and hear those precious gems speaking to each other in that same "germy" voice.

The hard part about being sick, is that once you've let it into the house and you all have it, it takes great effort to get it out.  Everyone must do their part to not spread it any further.  Mom becomes a broken record with instructions to "Cover your mouth, Use a Kleenex, Wash your hands, Don't drink after each other, Don't wipe that on the"....well, you get the drift.

My goal this week is to take a look around our house to find those hidden "germs" that are contaminating us, and to do whatever I can to cleanse this family, and get us back to health.  Lord willing, our immune systems will be better prepared the next time these "germs' come our way.
 
But for now, I have to wonder - which will be easier, cleaning our acts or cleaning this house!?

1 comment:

  1. Agree, agree, agree! I was just talking to my sister the other day about how I've been very short-tempered lately, and I've noticed the kiddos being that way with each other now. It's so easy to let life's little frustrations (packing, moving, cleaning, selling houses, etc.) give me an excuse to act not-so-nice. I'm with you on "cleaning" up these germs! Love you!

    ReplyDelete