Friday, March 26, 2010

The Neediest Time of a Day

Having children has brought to my attention the fact that the neediest time of a day is the 10 minutes right after getting in bed. It never fails that the 10 minutes after putting my kids down to sleep, they suddenly are in need of a zillion and one things. I guess when you finally cause them to lay still for a moment, their minds kick into overdrive and recap the day and all of their needs and/or wants. Here's a montage of various ones I get:
I need socks. I'm hungry.You know what I'm gonna dream about? Do you think a spider will crawl into my bed? My leg hurts. I need my nails clipped. Remember you were going to tell us that story. I need a drink.
It's too dark. It's too bright. Don't forget to come check on me when you go to bed." The list goes on and on.  Sometimes I patiently listen to their concerns, but often I get frustrated and remind them that they need to address these issues during the day when we can discuss them and not wait until the last second to bring them up.  Truth be told, they often are just thinking of reasons to stay up, or tp get my attention a little bit longer.  The times I really don't mind dropping what I'm doing, coming back up the stairs, and listening to them are the times when they want me just because they love me.  Josephine called me back the other night to thank me for something I'd done with her during the day and tell me how much she loved me.  If that were the case all of the time, I'd fly up those stairs again and again with a great big grin.  I can think of no better way to close out a day than saying "I love you" before closing your eyes.
So, what do I do when I go to bed?  Well, those 10 minutes right after I get in bed, I recap my day and all of my needs/wants and pour them out to my Father.  He listens, I know He does, but shouldn't I have been addressing Him throughout the day instead of saving them up for my tired and worn out last moments?  Perhaps those final last minute prayers should be spent addressing him with thankfulness and telling Him I love Him before closing my eyes.
Tonight when I'm climbing those stairs for the umpteenth time, may I exhibit the same patience He does with me during my neediest time of day.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful thought, Vivi. I try to remember this each day. Just this morning I was telling Grandma on the phone what a happy week I had at work and instantly in my mind wondered if I had remembered to thank God for that. So as Mama(Grandma) continued to talk, in my mind I was praying to God,"Thank you for such a wonderful, happy week at work!"

    ReplyDelete