Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Accidents Happen

We all know accidents happen, but it's why accidents happen that directly corresponds with how I react or pass judgement. I'd like to think I am a patient mom who doesn't over-react to an accident, but sometimes my little ones walk so close to the edge, it seems they are just asking for an "accident." Since my last post yesterday, our family has had more accidents than I can count.
Thessaly accidentally spilled her bowl of pretzels all over and under the computer desk. She then proceeded to spill them on the kitchen floor, followed by dragging the open container (which is practically bigger than herself) upstairs, to conclude with knocking it over on my bedroom carpet. Today she has spilled the crumbs from a tin on the living room carpet, followed by a bag of chips on the kitchen floor, a cup of water on her bed, and once again the open container of pretzels on my bedroom carpet. Judgement: Yes, they were all accidents, but couldn't they have been prevented by obeying mommy, paying closer attention, and eating her healthy snack of pear at the table instead of dragging out everything she could find in the cupboard?
Adela had several accidents herself. She accidentally hit dad in the leg. She accidentally poked Thessaly in the cheek. She accidentally knocked Eben down from the rocking chair, stomped on my toe, and bumped Jo over while playing TinkerToys. Judgement: Yes, many of these physical boo-boos were accidents, but had she gone out to play and burn off energy like she was told and followed the house rules, wouldn't she have been less accident-prone?
Josephine, bless her heart, has been plagued with accidents due to her helpful nature and desire for indepence. She accidentally knocked the bathroom washcloths into the open toilet while trying to gather the laundry. She accidentally spilled the orange juice while trying to pour herself a drink. She accidentally picked up the wrong cereal while filling her cart at Trader Joe's. Judgement: Yes, all of these were accidents that are training her to be more cautious next time, but had she been patient and let me help her as I warned, would they have happened?
Eben has a plethora of accidents, but do they really count since he does them on purpose? For a tiny example, let me list today's so called accidents: hit my coffee spilling it on the coffee table, poured his cheerios on floor, unrolled the entire roll of toilet paper, poured his water under the dining room table, dumped my makeup into the running shower, dropped cups in the toilet, and threw away his bottle in the trash can. And that's just since breakfast.
Anyone who knows me, knows I am accident prone. I have more than my fair share of trips, stumbles, and falls. After living in this construction site of accidents, I wonder how many of my mistakes and accidents come from not doing as I should. At the end of the day, what judgement will I receive? Yes, I may have slipped up, but was I obedient in the first place? Yes, I may not have intended to sin, but what was I doing walking so close to the edge? not listening and paying attention? not being where I should have been? relying on my own self and not seeking His help? or was I just testing my limits and boundaries? As I expect from my children, may I also expect from myself... learn from these mistakes and not have this "accident" again.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like our house too! Maybe it's genetic, cause I'm always dropping things! I remember one day, Chloe was potty training and had an accident on the floor that I was cleaning up. Meanwhile, Kevin was taking a shower and had (once again) forgotten to put the shower liner in, so water was flooding the bathroom. This happened during dinner time, so my dinner on the stove started boiling over. To top it off, Brady was crying and the phone started ringing! Life can be crazy, huh? Funny stuff...love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my friend, your days sound just like mine!! Is Eben "Prince Charming" to the girls. My little stinker can do no wrong in his sister's eyes...NOT a good thing. He gets away with WAY to much around them.

    ReplyDelete