Thursday, April 8, 2010

Unsolicited Compliments

For some bizarre reason I have been graced with several compliments from my children during the past 12 hours.  Normally, I am bombarded with critiques and complaints.  It's not unusual to hear "I don't like your hair like that" or "Mommy, your mouth stinks."  They don't tell me these things to be rude, but just put it out there to be honest.  Josephine has actually started curbbing her criticisms.  In fact, she let me go an entire day of errand running before telling me that I had black makeup majorly smeared under my eye because she thought I wanted it that way and because she didn't want to hurt my feelings by ointing out how ridiculous I looked.  Perhaps it is better to be told, even if the truth stinks.

This morning I came downstairs wearing a skirt...GASP!..."Where are we going? Is there church services today?  Why are you wearing a skirt?"  Truth be told, I have pretty much worn pants for the past 6 months (even under dresses and skirts) due to the chilly temps. Now that it is warming up, I'm loving my skirts, and apparently so are my girls.  They followed me around the house for a good 10 minutes throwing out comments of "princess," "pretty," and "wow!" (I'm choosing to ignore the one about "step-mother").  Needless to say, I'll probably be keeping up this new attire thing.

Eben surprised me by giving me a big squeeze right around my neck and making the sound to go along with the bear hug, "Mmmm-Mmmm!"  If that's not a baby's compliment, then I don't know what one is.

Then tonight while I was fixing dinner, Thessaly motioned for me to come down to her level so she could tell me a secret.  In her precious noisy whisper she said, "You know what, Mommy? You are the best Mommy!" I think I heard angels singing I was so thrilled.  She wasn't bribing me, or buttering me up to ask something, or even saying it because of some big happy announcement I'd made.  She was just telling it like she sees it.  If only we would tell others of their importance to us just because, think of how smiles would be contagious.

But the one that really got me, came this evening before bed.  Adela challenged the family to some pretty strenuous and dare-devil flips, but quickly made the side comment, "Except for Mommy, she can't do this kind of thing."  After her dismissal, I jumped right down there and flipped away.  She smiled from ear to ear, and we continued to compete in several jumps.  After the game, I heard her tell Jo and Thessy, "Wow! She really can do it! And she's good!" Her smile was stretched from ear to ear.  It's sad to think that she was so shocked, but frankly it's because I don't get down and crazy with them nearly enough.  Boy, did it feel good to see her thrilled like that. 

I could definitely get used to these kinds of unsolicited compliments.
Now, all that I need is a new wardrobe and a chiropractor to fix this aching back.

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! Vivi, you are so cute! But you are also so right. Just today the teacher I work with was brought to tears talking about all the stress she is under and how all she seems to get is corrections or criticisms and never any encouragement or compliments. All afternoon I was thinking how our little class of autistic students could make a card telling her how special she is to them/us. It would mean so much to her.
    And isn't it wonderful that our Father has already told us what he thinks of us? We are His people, set apart from the world of sin, for whom He gave His only begotten Son to die. What an amazing gift or compliment! That should make us all feel pretty special and happy inside.
    Thanks for the reminder that we should all consider complimenting or encouraging our children, mates, parents, fellow employees, or just anyone we come in contact with today?
    By the way, you are an amazing writer!!! :)
    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete