Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Quoting Scripture


It's always a joy for me to overhear my kids using something I have taught them. I'm especially pleased when I hear them quoting scriptures. We've worked on several memory verses this past year. I've been picking out ones that seem appropriate for their day to day situations. Lately, we've learned several on contentment, kindness to others, managing anger, etc. Sometimes, they take a verse and use it in a way that I didn't quite intend. Like yesterday Adela was being corrected by Josephine for doing something that Jo didn't want her to do; Adela's retort, said in a voice of frustration, was "Well, get the speck out of your own eye!" She may have gotten the implication of the verse and Jo caught her drift, so I'm glad they grasped that--It's just not said in the spirit I was hoping for. Another unexpected perk that has come from our verses is that lately there is less hostility in the competition of racing and games. Whoever loses just shouts back, "Ha! Ha! The first shall be last!!!!"
So, I guess in the long run...we all win:-)

1 comment:

  1. haha! i love reading your blog, vivi. you are a great writer! i can relate with you, esp when it comes to the trials and difficulties in raising kids, and yet you manage to point to what's really important. thank you for reminding me of the Cross or of the Father's heart when oftentimes i want to stay impatient.

    (also, it amazes me that you remember things at the end of the day (or the next day) to write about them when i can barely remember what i did an hour ago!)

    my kids have used the "first shall be last" one to their benefit, too. :) not the speck one yet, though.

    ReplyDelete