Thursday, May 6, 2010

A Muted Voice

Have you ever felt like you were talking to a wall? Like no one heard you speaking, no matter how loud or how many times you said something? Well, this is my voice. Apparently, it took me 34 years to realize that my voice has the unique ability to be absolutely muted and impossible to hear at various times in the day. I speak, and no one hears me. I say something over and over, and only I hear myself. It's funny, because John comes home and says something...suddenly everyone listens or I whisper something in another room, and the walls instantly grow ears. I guess it's another one of those special talents a mother develops after having children. Since I've developed this "gift" I now precede or follow every important comment with, "Do you hear the words coming out of my mouth?" or "Listen to what I am saying." On occasion, I've even been known to ask my little ones to "repeat after me" since they've taken to saying, "Yes, I heard, but what did you say?" I often wonder what brings this on. Am I just saying way too much for them to take in? is my voice so monotone that they tune it out? It couldn't possibly be they are selectively listening?! Here's a short clip of us at the beach (you'll have to turn your head sideways to view). You can see, no one heard me. I guess there's usually too much going on to focus and heed what I'm saying.


Often in the scriptures we see the words, "Listen" or "Take Heed!" We also see important statements being repeated over again with "Again, I say..." Perhaps it was done for emphasis or just to make sure we actually are attending to what is being said. May I have ears that are ready to listen when my Savior is talking to me. And may my muted voice ring in the consciences of my handful on the really important things throughout their lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment