Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sound of Silence

By 5 minutes into our day, our house is filled with more noise than the horns blaring during traffic at rush hour. By the time I've finished my first cup of coffee, I've heard a cacophony of hoots, cackles, whistles, laughter, crying, screaming, piano, stomping, slamming, and just a rather loud discordant mixture of sounds. As you can imagine (or maybe you can't imagine in your wildest dreams), the volume reaches heights that nearly burst my delicate eardrums. I'm surprised Eben's first words weren't "Shhhh! Not so loud!' for I feel that those are the words I say more than any other as of late.
In spite of the painful loudness, the only sound more threatening is the sound of silence. When a sudden wave of silence comes upon this house, one of two things is happening. One, my children have miraculously fallen into a peaceful slumber of exhaustion or Two, someone is into something they should not be into. Today, it was the latter. The girls were downstairs working on a project, and little Eben? Well, picture this: me coming round the corner in slow motion, hearing nothing but silence, to see him on his hands and knees splashing blissfully.... in a puddle...in the bathroom...on the floor. Then putting the pieces of this picture that does not make sense together, as I spot Thessaly's big girl potty lying on it's side. Aye, aye, aye. Oh well, I guess it was time to clean the bathroom again, and he could always use another bath. And you wonder why we're always sick?! :-P
Good excuse to pull out the fatigues and get some spring cleaning done. It's all perspective, right?!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Vivi -
    This is Heather from Washington, NJ and I've been enjoying your blog so much! I'll just say I can really relate! :)

    Just had to share what my Jack did earlier this week. I was standing over the stove cooking dinner while he played by my feet. Of course, at the height of my required concentration of dinner prep - three things needing attention at the same time - I hear Jack say, "Di-ting McKeen go in-na puddle!" Uh oh! There was not a puddle on the kitchen floor a few minutes ago, where did this come from? Well we've been working on potty training, so you guessed it! :) I just turned off all of the burners so I could clean everything up, including "Di-tin McKeen" (or the toy car Lightening McQueen for those who don't speak 2 year old!). And my husband wonders why I have to start working on dinner at 4:00! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wait 'til he makes his own puddles...on purpose ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, you two are REALLY scaring me!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. V- I love the picture of you and Eben. SO cute! You look beautiful! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I came down here to post just what Terah said. BEAUTIFUL picture of you V!

    ReplyDelete